Posted By Bishop Brian Ernest Brown, OSH on June 14, 2010
This is old stock out of Bp. Karl Pruter’s Cathedral Books. If you want to own a piece of Old Catholic history this is your chance. Buy it now while supplies last.
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:
Karl Hugo Prüter (July 3, 1920 – November 18, 2007), was an Old Catholic bishop. He was raised in the Lutheran church, and was a Congregationalist minister under the name of Hugo Rehling Pruter Sr. from 1945 to 1958. In the Congregationalist Church he was one of the leaders in the liturgical movement within the church during the late 1940s and early 1950s. He was also an opponent of the merger of the Congregational Christian Churches with the Evangelical and Reformed Church to form the United Church of Christ, begun in 1957 and concluded in 1961. As a continuing Congregationalist, he led his church and several other midwest Congregational churches to reject the merger and form a new body, the Central Association of Congregational Christian Churches.
In the late 1960s, Pruter became involved in the Free Catholic Movement, an association that lasted until his death. Pruter’s introduction to the Free Catholic Movement and Old Catholicism came in 1963, when he traveled to Europe where he met several leaders of the Old Catholic tradition. When he returned to the United States, he settled in Boston hoping to find an available church or bishop. Not finding any, he arranged with Archbishop Peter A. Zurawetsky to start a new church, in the Back Bay area of Boston, which stressed the contemplative life, mysticism, and a faith based on personal experience.
He was consecrated Bishop of the Diocese of Boston by Archbishops Zurawetsky and Uladyslau Ryzy-Ryski in 1967. The following year, Pruter designated his Diocese an independent communion. After a meeting the following year, the new Christ Catholic Church (Pruter) was recognized when its Constitution and Canons were given it by Archbishop Zurawetsky.
Pruter was a vigorous publisher and distributor of literature in his fields of interest. The press he founded, St. Willibrord’s Press, was a major distributor of literature about the Old Catholic church. He wrote a number of tracts and pamphlets, as well as books such as The Teachings of the Great Mystics and A History of the Old Catholic Church. He also operated the Tsali Bookstore, specializing in American Indian literature, and Cathedral Books which ememphasizes literature about the topic of peace.